Total Pageviews

Friday, December 17, 2010

Reading

          Reading is one of my favorite things to do.

          I am reading an old book right now. Well, it was published in the 80s, but that makes it close to thirty years old. It is a book by Marjorie Holmes. She has written Christian fiction, and specifically Christian fiction based on the life of Christ.

          This book is "The Messiah". It starts with Jesus coming home to Mary after his 40 days in the wilderness and then going to the wedding in Cana.

           It just amazes me that she can make the people so real.

          Now, I ask you, how many of you have thought that the wedding in Cana was one of Mary's nieces? It doesn't say specifically so in the Bible, but what a great premise. It really makes Jesus human to me. It puts him with a human family, who watched him grow up and tag along behind Joseph, learning to be a carpentar, and flinging stones at the water with his cousins.

           My husband and I were talking last night about the fact that Christians have not always given over to the idea of Jesus being human. Now, as a Lutheran, I confess every Sunday in one of the creeds that he was true God and true man. I know in my mind that that means he got hungry, sleepy, tired and annoyed. I know that as God he could take care of all that stuff, but didn't. He handled it as we would: he ate; he slept; he rested; and he took care of the annoyance. Probably not the same way I would, but with dignity, grace and love, but it would taken care of.

          He was tempted as we are. He resisted temptation. Which we don't always do, and we ask for forgiveness.

          A small digression: have you ever wondered why it is pronounced "forgive-ness" rather than "forgiven-ess" ? It strikes me every time I hear it. I know it means to be forgiven, but we don't say it that way.  Ah, well, the English language is wonderful.

          I have not finished my book, but I know how it ends, but the journey is really worth it to me.

          If you have the opportunity, get a copy of the book and read it. Let me know what you think of it.

          Have a blessed day and don't wear yourself out getting ready for Christmas.

No comments:

Post a Comment