Total Pageviews

Thursday, March 17, 2011

Down Sizing

     Down sizing has come to mean something you don't want to do or have done to you: as in: " The company down sized and I lost my job."

    So, when my husband brought the idea of downsizing our lifestyle, I wasn't sure I wanted to do that. It sounded as though I might be out of a job. He really didn't say that he was wanting to downsize to one person or even that we needed to do less than we are right now. He just wanted to move from ownership to perhaps rentalship. If something needed fixing, someone else would be responsible for getting it done. Taxes would also be someone else's problem.

I could go along with that.

Then he started talking about getting rid of stuff.

I really have always said, and believed, that stuff was just stuff. It could be replaced or not.

When we first talked about it we talked about selling everything and moving into an rv and travel. We both really like road trips and seeing new things.

That didn't seem feasible. We would just be taking this lifestyle on the road and gaining nothing in the money department.

I really kind of liked the idea of gettting rid of everything and buying back what we needed as we needed it. A clean slate. I have been here before. God decided that perhaps we could use a clean slate, so we had a house fire and lost everything, but a really ugly hassock, and a few personal things.

We cleaned house. We started over. We had managed to save our pictures, which was nice.

Twenty some years later you would never know we had gone back to having nothing. We had something, now. Lots of it.

So, we decided to sell most of our stuff and downsize.

We are trying to downsize, just in case we decide to downsize the size of our living space.

Yep. This is lots of fun.

I will keep you posted on how this is going.

1 comment:

  1. Okay, so I'm a little comfused. Are y'all selling your house? Will you still be living close? Do tell =)

    Love you Auntie,
    Dawn

    ReplyDelete